Proper maintenance is necessary to preserve any roof, especially cedar shake roofs. If you want to prolong the natural beauty and durability of your cedar shake roof, below are five preventative maintenance tips you should follow.
- Schedule inspections: It’s recommended that you plan a roof inspection once or twice annually – this is typically done in the early fall or spring. It’s also a good idea to periodically examine the roof yourself for signs of damage or disrepair, especially following heavy weather. We don’t recommend climbing on your roof for safety reasons, so just perform this inspection as well as you can from the ground.
- Clean regularly: Like any other roofing material, cedar shake roofs require cleaning to get rid of piled-up debris. This is an important task because organic material that collects on your roof can cause it to rot, attract pests, and age prematurely.
- Cut down branches: If you have tree branches that hang over your roof, you’re more likely to notice leaves and branches accumulating on it. You also run the risk of heavy branches falling and damaging your roof in the event of heavy wind or storms.
- Repair as necessary: If you notice shakes that are rotting, moldy, or falling off, it’s a good idea to have these small fixes maintained before they become a bigger issue.
- Apply protective treatment: An essential practice of preserving cedar shake roofs is maintaining their protective treatment, which aids in shielding them from water, fire, and fungi growth.
If you’re searching for a roofing company in the Chattanooga, Tennessee area, look no further than Winters Roofing Inc. Reach out today to hear more about how we can service your cedar shake roof.